We invest in people with the shared ambition to create a green and sustainable future for generations to come. At IOWN we are up for big challenges and finding innovative solutions for the green energy future. Interested? Join our team!
IOWN is seeking a Senior Director, Business Development to lead the project origination and fuel the growth of our wind, solar and energy storage pipeline in North America. The primary focus will be identifying and executing greenfield opportunities, nurturing partnerships, and managing project acquisition efforts across technologies.
The ideal candidate will be a highly driven risk taker, yet inclined to organization and structure, with strong team leadership and extensive industry knowledge.
Seniority level will be based on candidate experience. Duties include but are not limited to the following:
- Lead greenfield effort for significant expansion of high-quality early-stage project pipeline of wind, solar and energy storage projects in existing and new US markets.
- Identify markets of opportunity in the US and lead initial regional screening and development activities, including interconnection applications and site screening.
- Develop relationships with broad market participants in order to provide guidance and market insights and generate actionable ideas for potential projects and opportunities.
- Responsible for development risk analysis, transmission screening, and economic analysis on new projects.
- Source and lead acquisition opportunities and transactions, including negotiations, due diligence, and valuation. Manage the due diligence process related to land, interconnection, permitting, environmental, and technical matters with support from internal and external resources.
- Ensure up-to-date information on business needs and priorities and prioritize acquisition and sale targets accordingly.
- Own the execution of transactions, including originating, structuring, negotiating, and closing business deals as well as coordinating efforts from all the parties involved in the transaction.
- Drive strategy for development and M&A activities.
- Generate actionable insights on ideal positioning and future trends.
- Develop and own strategic/economic frameworks, models, etc. to support decision making.
- Support decision-making in hiring, managing and mentoring junior team members.
Power Origination - Potential
- Engage with all types of power buyers (utility, corporate, CCA’s, and others) with the end goal of having them contracted under a PPA, hedge or other financeable structure(s).
- Independently identify power offtake leads through direct prospecting and networking efforts, while developing lasting client relationships in the renewable energy sector. This includes but is not limited to, identifying RFP opportunities and originating bilateral PPA targets outside formal RFP processes.
- Lead pitch presentations related to power origination, actively positioning our projects with offtake customers, with the goal of successfully delivering optimal solutions to potential clients.
- Be constantly aware of emerging offtake structures and help position our projects to be able to respond to changing market trends.
- Independently lead transactions (power origination) from origination through contract execution; negotiate MOUs and final PPAs or offtake.
- Lead and/or oversee proposals, RFP responses, structure deals, and analyze physical and financial Power Purchase Agreements.
- Analyze, recommend, and work with market forecasting platforms/ models that are inherent to bidding for offtake (for wind, solar and energy storage).
- Work closely with the development team to remain engaged on the readiness to market projects for offtake. Undertake self-appraisal of projects to support enhancements, for making the projects competitive.
Remote candidates will be considered, but preference will be given to candidates who live in or can relocate to San Diego area, CA.
IOWN is a renewable energy developer and service provider headquartered in La Jolla, CA. Our focus is to expertly develop and manage utility-scale renewable energy projects (wind, solar PV, and energy storage).
IOWN has been operating in Europe since 2012, and with the strong determination stemming from the Scandinavian work ethic and mentality, IOWN entered the U.S. energy market in 2014.
We strive to be the front-runner in the development, engineering, procurement, finance, construction, sale, and operation of top-tier renewable energy assets. To achieve this, we place a high value on building a cohesive team that values execution. To be in control. To own it.
IOWN won the Best Energy Workplaces Award 2021, based on our proven efforts in providing health and wellness programs, professional development programs, family-friendly policies, flexible work options, diversity, and community engagement.
IOWN is an Equal Opportunity Employer that recruits and hires qualified candidates without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, disability, or veteran status. For an industry that is one of the least gender-diverse sectors, IOWN is doing its best to close the gender gap, and despite the small size of 21 employees, IOWN represents over six different nationalities amongst its team.